Tuesday 2 October 2012

The Independent : Negotiated Reading

What has been the audience response been from one of the industries you have studied ? (LOST)

High Brow Response To Lost Final Episode:


Lost, the final episode: review

TV drama Lost has ended six seasons of plot twists in a completely thrilling, but not entirely logical finale, says Michael Deacon.
















Naveen Andrews (Sayid), Maggie Grace (Shannon), Yunjin Kim (Sun), Dominic Monaghan (Charlie) and Emilie De Ravin (Claire) appear in the series finale of 'Lost'

Well, thank goodness for that.
Throughout the 120 hours, spread across six years, that I’ve been watching Lost, I’ve been more than a little worried that the ending, when it finally came, would make me think, “Oh. What a monumental waste of time that was.”
I would hereby like to pledge eternal thanks to God, or at any rate Lost’s executive producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof, for ensuring that that didn’t happen. The final episode, all two and a quarter hours of it, for which, being in Britain, I had to get up at five o’clock this morning, was terrifically exciting. Desmond switching the Light off (whatever the Light is – all that portentous nonsense in the episode the week before last about how “It’s the Light that exists in all men’s souls” made me wriggle with embarrassment). Jack and Kate killing Locke, or at any rate the Man in Black, or the Smoke Monster (he never did get a proper name, did he? Poor chap). Jack appointing Hurley to protect the Island. All gripping and grand and endearingly ridiculous in the way only Lost can be.
That’s not to say, though, that I completely understood it. I’m writing this immediately after the episode’s end, so haven’t yet had time to puzzle it all out. But here are the questions I feel certain I’ll be muttering to myself until I’m arrested for causing a public disturbance.
* In episode one of the final series, when Jack and co were on the non-crashing Flight 815 in the Flash Sideways Timeline (FST), we saw that the Island had been destroyed and was lying at the bottom of the ocean. In the Original Timeline, as we’ve just seen in the finale, Jack, Desmond et al prevented the Island’s destruction from taking place. So how did the Island sink in the FST?

No comments:

Post a Comment